Did you know that 7 out of 10 smokers want to quit and approximately 55% of smokers try to quit each year? It may never feel like the perfect time to quit smoking, as behavior change can be difficult. But, if one thing is for sure, you will not regret it.
At GHC-SCW, we are proud to offer support to anyone who wants assistance quitting smoking. Here is how you get started:
To get started:
- Determine a target quit date no further than 30 days away
- Research suggests using one of following two smoking cessation medication options, paired with a form of counseling is most effective in helping a person quit smoking: Chantix + counseling or using the Nicotine patch and Nicorette mini-lozenges together + counseling
- It is important to create a clean, fresh, and non-smoking environment for yourself. Remove all tobacco products such as cigarettes, ash trays, lighters, etc. from all areas of your home and car the day before your quit date.
- Remain open minded and positive: there is a chance quitting will not work out exactly as planned the first time around. Rather than viewing this as a failure, think of it as discovering one way that didn’t work. You’re one step closer to finding what works for you. You WILL be successful!
Quitting smoking is the single most important thing you can do for your health. Here are a few things you can look forward to if you decide to quit:
- 8hrs: CO2 levels drop & O2 levels increase in the blood
- 2 days: Ability to taste and smell is enhanced
- 2-3 weeks: Lung function increases 30%
- 1 year: Risk of Heart Disease decreases by half of a smoker
- 10 years: Lung Cancer rate is that of a non-smoker
BONUS: think of all the money you’re going to save! For example, if you’re smoking 1 pack per day, this totals to $3,219 saved per year.
Group Health Cooperative of South Central Wisconsin is dedicated to helping you achieve your wellness goals. Reach out to your Primary Care Provider today. They will connect you with all smoking cessation resources GHC-SCW has to offer!