Introduction to the
GHC-SCW Notice of Privacy Practices
The privacy and security of patient’s health information is protected by federal law and regulations (commonly referred to as HIPAA) and state laws which establish the minimum standards for maintaining the privacy and security of patient information.
At GHC-SCW, we have a robust compliance program that includes policies mandated by applicable state and federal laws that implement patient privacy and security requirements. GHC-SCW provides training to our team members on the importance of compliance with the policies and regularly conducts audits to confirm the effectiveness of our compliance program.
This notice describes how health information about you may be used and disclosed and how you can get access to this information. Please review it carefully.
Effective Date of this Notice: 8/1/2019
Each time you visit Group Health Cooperative of South Central Wisconsin (GHC-SCW) for health care, it is documented in your electronic medical record.
This record contains identification and financial information as well as symptoms, diagnoses, test results, a description of your physical examination, and a treatment plan. This record is often referred to as your “medical record” or “health information.” GHC-SCW may also store your information on paper.
Your health information is used to:
- Plan for your care and treatment
- For communication among your health care professionals
- As a legal document describing the care you received
- As a way for you or your insurance company to verify the services provided
- To help GHC-SCW review and improve health care and outcomes
- For other similar activities that allow GHC-SCW to conduct business efficiently and provide you with high quality health care
This Notice provides you with the following important information:
- How we use and disclose your protected health information
- Your privacy rights with regard to your protected health information
- Our obligations to you concerning the use and disclosure of your protected health information